The second trimester is awesome. I finally feel like a person again! It’s great to have energy and to finally not be nauseous all the time. Since I finally feel human, we have started on the nursery. I want to have a lot of it done before I balloon so big I can’t help! So we recently set about restoring an old dresser. My great aunt gave it to me when I was really young. We were living in Thornton, Co so I’m thinking I was about 8. I have kept it all this time – thanks dad for letting me store it at your house. It desperately needed some love, but I could see so much potential.
I started by running to Lowes to buy supplies. Here’s what we ended up buying. * I bought the cheapest paint brushes at Lowes in an effort to make this as economical a project as possible.
- Chalk paint $29.99
- Paint brush (large) $3.98
- Paint brush (trim brush) $.94
- Plastic dropcloth $2.98
- Sandpaper $5.97
Next we picked up the dresser and brought it home. It was still cold out so we covered the nursery in plastic so we could work inside. Since we were just using chalk paint I wasn’t too nervous.
STEP ONE: First we wiped every inch of the dresser down with a wet rag. I was surprised at how filthy it was, inside and out. We pulled out every dresser drawer as we washed them and removed all of the old hardware. Next we lightly sanded over the dresser, really just emphasizing on any raised nicks. Also, I had to sand off a lot of nail polish from my childhood. (According to all of the different blogs I read, sanding before chalk painting is not required, but I wanted to be careful).
STEP TWO: Next I started painting! The chalk paint went on so well. I was honestly surprised. In no time I had the base and the drawers painted! I let them dry for a few hours and then did another coat. We were beyond thrilled with how it turned out!!
STEP THREE: While I painted Michael started on the hardware. Originally we were going to replace all of the handles. However, nothing I found was perfect. Michael suggested trying to keep the original handles, but painting them gold. They are gorgeous so I agreed. He pulled out the bottle of gold spray paint we used on our IKEA frames for the living room (Design Master Color Tool in Antique Gold). First he soaked the handles and scrubbed them off with a toothbrush. After they dried he took them outside and spray painted them. He gave them a solid coat and then brought them in to me to see what I thought. I LOVE THEM. They belong in a fairy tale. I was beyond pleased. Once the dresser and the handles were undeniably dry we reassembled.
STEP FOUR: The last piece of the project was inserting drawer liners. (Well, technically this step was done between paint coats, but you get the point). This dresser is old and I was worried that the wood might have little splinters that could get caught in baby’s clothes. So while we were at Lowes we picked up drawer liner. It was great because it had like a ruler printed on the back of the paper so you could cut to size. This was definitely a two person job though. Honestly, it was the hardest part! I wanted it to sit just perfect so poor Michael patiently sat and helped aligned paper over and over again until it was perfect! It was completely worth it though. The drawers are adorable.
I LOVE the finished project and I’m so happy I listened to Michael about the handles. The touch of gold is great. Overall our cost was $43.86. (We did already have the gold spray paint to that could add an extra $8 to your project). That’s an amazing price for a darling, great quality dresser! Another thing I love- I have plenty of leftover paint. So as this little one grows up and inevitably draws on this dresser I can fix it up in a matter of minutes. Hopefully it will last her a long time!