A few days ago one of my “blogger babes” friends, Bailey (author of the blog Little Pile of Good Things), challenged my friend LB (author of blog LB in the City) and I to join her in a 10×10 Challenge! This challenged was created by blogger Lee Vosburgh of Canada, who writes an eco-minded style blog about reducing consumerism and focusing on supporting brands with good ethical standards. The blog, StyleBee, has an ongoing challenge that is composed by the following guidelines:
- PICK ANY 10 ITEMS FROM YOUR CURRENT CLOSET
- STYLE THOSE ITEMS INTO 10 DIFFERENT LOOKS
- USE 10 DAYS TO DO IT
- HAVE FUN AND DON’T TAKE IT TOO SERIOUSLY!
Here are some tips she blogged about to help get you started!
- Check the forecast and pick practical items for the weather.
- Don’t give yourself too much time to choose. Try to make the call in under 30 mins. But if you need more, that’s cool too!
- Go for an easy, lean colour palette. Think neutrals, denim, white, black and grey with 1 or 2 colours.
- Reach for your favourites first and then add one or two pieces you’d like to wear more or aren’t sure about.
- Avoid Dry Clean Only items or pieces that are a pain to launder so if need be you can refresh them during the 10 days.
At first I was pretty excited, however I started to get nervous! I wasn’t sure how I was going to maneuver a limited wardrobe in this season of life. A season full of baby drool, spit up, and nursing bras. However, I really wanted to try. In her post, Lee specifically says this challenge is for someone in one of the following categories and I definitely felt like I fall in several of those!
- Take a break from shopping.
- Reinvest in their existing closet.
- Test their style creativity.
- Make their closet work harder.
- Find a better sense of personal style.
- Test out a capsule closet.
- Establish a couple of go-to uniforms.
- Pack for a trip. 10 x 10 Challenges are ideal for travellers looking to pack lighter.
I am so excited to start. I just finished picking out my ten pieces- 2 pairs shoes, 2 skirts, 1 pair jeans, and 5 tops. The 10×10 challenge includes core pieces, but not accessories like scarves, jewelry, bags, or hats. I will say that the challenge does include sweaters, but I may cheat on that. Right now our forecast is all in the 80’s so I am not choosing any for my ten items… However, if it decides to be unpredictable and fickle, as weather in Nashville does, I may grab one!
Feel free to join in at anytime, there doesn’t have to be a specific start date! I would love to be inspired by your choices. This is going to be an interesting (possibly reoccurring) adventure. I hope you tag me if you decide to try so I don’t miss it! You can also tag the creator of this challenge with either #StyleBee10x10 or #UnFancyRemix .
Have fun! And wish me luck.
// tops: Banana Republic White Tshirt (size XS), Old Navy Forest Green Tank (size S), Banana Republic White Button Down Tank (size S ), One Clothing Grey Graphic T (size S), & Maurice’s Grey Graphic T (size S)
// jeans: Lucky Brand (size 24)
// skirts: Bannana Republic (size 0 Petite) & Forever 21 (size S)
// heels: Lucky Brand (size 7.5)
// flats: Maden Girl (size 7.5)